Newsletter Tuesday 25th April 2017
Primary 7 – Summer Term Newsletter
Welcome back to the Summer Term and a term that is very significant for our P.7 pupils.
I would like to take the opportunity to share some information with reference to our recent visit to Lagganlia.
I have been a qualified teacher for thirty-four years. During this time, I have accompanied classes to twenty-two various camps. All of these camps have been very successful and enjoyable with little incident.
However, the recent residential visit to Lagganlia, with our present P.7 group, has to be the best I have experienced. The conduct of the children was exemplary. All children managed the week very well. There were no incidents, no fall-outs, no injuries and no complaints from instructors or camp staff. The children participated enthusiastically even when faced with personal challenges.
Conclusively, everyone enjoyed the experience and the children gained much in the way of personal and social development.
I am very proud of our P.7-year group. I am sure you are too. I thank you for your help and support. The P.7 children are a credit to themselves, their families and the school.
Organising and visiting Lagganlia is a great team effort and I would like to offer a most sincere thank you to various people; Mrs. Chapman for her expert organisation, Ms. Warrender for leading the camp, Mrs. Lunniss for taking a break in her secondment, and Ms. Campbell, Mrs. Young and Ms. Baigan for giving up their time to accompany the group. It was a great staff team.
I would also like to thank Mrs. Evans (Deputy Head Teacher) for managing the school most effectively in my absence and Mrs. Lamas for covering Ms. Campbell’s P.3 class.
This Summer Term, and final term for our P.7 children, is a very busy term. I can confirm the following dates and times presently. However, I am sure that there will be additional dates as the term progresses:
- Wednesday 19th April – Transition Event at Portobello High School.
- Wednesday 19th April – Dental inspections.
- Thursday 27th April – Launch of P.7 Transition Project ‘Your Life, Your Choices’.
- Thursday 27th April at 1.30 p.m. – P.7 group/class photograph for The Evening News.
- Monday 1st May – School closed for May Day Holiday.
- Thursday 4th May – School closed for pupils – LOCAL ELECTIONS – STAFF IN SERVICE DAY.
- Thursday 11th May – Parent Council Spring Discos.
- Friday 12th May at midday – P.7 parents, families and friends invited to view photographic exhibition of Lagganlia.
- Monday 15th May – Glee Choir Final at The Assembly Rooms.
- Monday 22nd May – SCHOOL CLOSED – VICTORIA DAY HOLIDAY.
- Week beginning Monday 22nd May – Parent Council ‘Circus Starz’ Week.
- Tuesday 23rd May – School Open Morning.
- Wednesday 24th May – P.7 attending The Risk Factory.
- Friday 26th May p.m. – Parent Council Summer Fair (to close ‘Circus Starz’).
- Week beginning Monday 29th May – Book Fair Week.
- Monday 29th May – Interscholastics Team competing at Meadowbank Stadium.
- Week beginning Monday 5th June – Health Focus Week.
- Tuesday 6th June – P.7 Open Evening at Portobello High School for pupils and parents.
- Friday 9th June at 9.45 a.m. – P.7 Year Group Assembly on Lagganlia.
- Friday 16th June at 10.15 a.m. – Upper Sports.
- Monday 19th June – Pupil Progress Reports issued.
- Tuesday 20th, Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd – P.7 pupils at their respective high schools for Transition Days.
- Friday 23rd June at 6.30 p.m. – P.7 Leavers’ Dance.
- Friday 30th June at 9.45 a.m. – P.7 Leavers’ Assembly followed by Tea and Scones in the quad.
- Friday 30th June at midday – school closes for summer holiday.
I am aware that some parents have volunteered to help decorate the hall – I will convene a short meeting to discuss these arrangements. Details to follow.
Willie French (Head Teacher)
Newsletter Monday 29th August 2016
Dear P.7 Parent/Carer,
Primary 7 – Session 2016/17
Every year of a child’s education is important. However, P.7 is a significant year for many reasons.
Our P.7 children are expected to set high standards as they are role models for the younger pupils. They are delegated additional responsibilities; Pupil Councilors and Nations’ Captains. They are afforded privileges; black sweat shirts to indicate seniority and being responsible for entering school without lining up. They are presented with exciting opportunities; Lagganlia Outdoor Experience, The Risk Factory.
Most importantly, it is a year of transition where our pupils will be undertaking tasks and activities to ensure they are as well prepared for high school as possible. This will include a three day visit to your child’s catchment high school.
In the meantime, please find the following information of use:
Pupil Council and Nations’ Captains Elections
I have informed our P.7 pupils with regard to Pupil Council and Nations’ Captains. Pupils have been asked to consider their suitability for these roles and to decide if they are qualified to nominate themselves for a position of responsibility. Those nominating themselves require to complete an application form and submit to me as follows:
- Applications for Pupil Council to me by Friday 2nd September 2016.
- Applications for Nations’ Captain to me by Friday 9th September 2016.
Applicants will then be invited to present their ‘campaign’ to the P.4 to P.6 year groups at the following assemblies:
- Pupil Council Assembly at 9.45 a.m. on Friday 9th September 2016.
- Nations’ Captain Assembly at 9.45 a.m. on Friday 16th September 2016.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL P.7 PARENTS AND FAMILY MEMBERS ARE INVITED TO JOIN US AT THESE ASSEMBLIES. I AM SURE MANY OF OUR PARENTS WILL ENJOY HEARING OUR P.7 PUPILS PRESENT THEIR ‘MANIFESTO’.
P.7 Outdoor Learning Experience at Lagganlia Camp
All P.7 pupils have the opportunity to attend our outdoor learning experience at Lagganlia Outdoor Education Camp. I am hopeful that all P.7 pupils will attend.
Lagganlia Camp is situated on the edge of The Cairngorms National Park, close to Newtonmore and Kingussie. Travel to Lagganlia is by coach.
The Lagganlia Outdoor Camp experience is booked to cover the following dates:
- Depart on the morning of Monday 27th March 2017.
- Returning early afternoon of Friday 31st March 2017. *Please note the return date is the day school closes for Easter Holiday.
Activities may include hill walking, pot-holing/caving, abseiling, orienteering, water sports etc. The activities develop problem solving and team work. The camp experience is matched to Experiences and Outcomes contained within Curriculum for Excellence.
For most P.7 pupils, this camp experience is their favourite and most memorable experience during their primary school years.
The cost of the camp is £290 + £20 for the coach transport. The £20 cost of transport is not yet confirmed, this has been based on previous years. Therefore the total cost of the camp is £310.
I appreciate that the cost of the outdoor camp experience is quite considerable, therefore I suggest three ways of paying the fee as follows:
- We require a deposit of £60.00 paid during the month of September 2016
- Payment Option 1 – the full amount outstanding £310 – £60.00 = £250 (after deducting the deposit) by Tuesday 28th February 2017
- Payment Option 2 – half of the amount outstanding (after deducting the deposit) £125.00 by Wednesday 30th November 2016 and £125 by Tuesday 28th February 2017
- Payment Option 3 – monthly instalments (after deducting the deposit) of £50 to be paid over October 2016, November 2016, December 2016, January 2017 and February 2017
There will be a meeting on Tuesday 21st February 2017 at 6.30 p.m. Parents and children may attend. The purpose of this meeting will be to learn about the purpose and activities at camp.
In the meantime, do not hesitate to contact me if you require to discuss any issues related to camp.
High School Transition Days
Your child will attend their allocated high school for three days in June 2017. For most children that will be Portobello High School. However, a small number may transfer to Leith Academy or Holyrood RC High School. The three day period covers Tuesday 20th, Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd June 2017.
P.7 Leavers’ Dance
The P.7 Leavers’ Dance will be on the evening of Friday 23rd June 2017 – 6.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.
I am keen to involve parents and children in the planning of this event. I invite any parent who would like to be a member of an ‘organising group’ to meet me at 6.00 p.m. on Thursday 29th September 2016. This will be a short meeting.
P.7 Leavers’ Assembly
The P.7 Leavers’ Assembly will be on Friday 30th June 2017 at 9.45 a.m.
Thank you to all in our P.7 community for your help and support.
I can confirm that the P.7 year stage has made an excellent start to the term and we have an exciting year in prospect with Mrs. Lunniss and Ms. Warrender planning enthusiastically for session ahead.
Please complete the reply slip contained in the download and return it to Mr. French by Friday 9th September 2016.