P7 Newsletter 05 September 2017
Primary 7 Information
I am very pleased to inform you that our P.7-year group has enjoyed an excellent start to the new school session. Our P.7 pupils have modelled excellent behaviour and they have been most helpful. I have taken the opportunity to remind them that this is an extremely important and special school stage and that the success and enjoyment of this stage is dependent on their conduct and responsibility. I fully expect an outstanding year for P.7.
Councillors and Nations’ Captains
I have been extremely impressed by the response of P.7 pupils nominating themselves for either P.7 Councillor, P.7 Nations’ Captain, or both. I have received 37 nominations in total, supported by well-considered application forms. All children who have nominated themselves will be provided with the opportunity to present their application at the following assemblies:
- P.7 COUNCILLOR ELECTIONS – FRIDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER 2017 – 9.45 a.m. to 10.30 a.m.
- P.7 NATIONS’ CAPTAINS – FRIDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER 2017 – 9.45 a.m. to 10.30 a.m.
I am very keen for children to gain experience of speaking to an audience. The presentations will be presented to P.4 to P.6 children. Additionally, ALL P.7 PARENTS ARE INVITED TO ATTEND THESE ASSEMBLIES.
Outdoor Education Experience – Lagganlia Camp
Please note that our P.7-year group will visit Lagganlia Camp near Aviemore from Monday 26th February 2018 to Friday 2nd March 2018.
More details regarding camp will be issued at a later date.
The total cost of the trip will be approximately £320. This includes the residential cost and transport cost. This may be subject to change as we await confirmed costing for the transport. However, I can assure you that the differential will not be significant. I am aware that £320 is a large amount of money, therefore I suggest payment is made in FOUR instalments as follows:
- £80 by Friday 29th September 2017
- £80 by Tuesday 31st October 2017
- £80 by Thursday 30th November 2017
- £80 by Wednesday 31st January 2018 (this amount may be amended slightly to cover transport).
Payment can be made by any of these THREE methods:
- By ‘Parent Pay’. This would be the preference method of payment. Please contact Mrs. Chapman, our Administrator, in the event you require ‘log on’ information.
- By cheque payable to ‘The Royal High School’.
- By cash.
All non ‘Parent Pay’ payments should be passed to Mrs. Chapman.
You will be aware that we have two major events at the end of the school session, these are:
- P.7 Leavers’ Dance on Friday 22nd June 2018 – 6.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
- P.7 Leavers’ Assembly on Friday 29th June 2018 at 9.45 a.m.
I have taken the opportunity to meet with P.7 parents over the last two years. Each year we established a group of parents willing to help prepare for these events. Helping is usually in the form of decorating and preparing the hall.
I invite any P.7 parents who would like to be involved to meet with me on THURSDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER 2017 at 6.00 p.m. IN THE SCHOOL STAFF ROOM. I hope that it is possible to set up a small group of volunteers. Please e mail me at email@example.com if you are interested and can attend the meeting. Thank you.
Some key dates for P.7
- Friday 8th September 2017 – 9.45 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. P.7 Councillor Elections.
- Friday 15th September 2017 – 9.45 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. P.7 Nations’ Captains.
- Thursday 21st September 2017 – 6.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. Portobello High School Open Evening (pupils and parents).
- Thursday 28th September 2017 at 6.00 p.m. P.7 Parent Volunteer Meeting.
- Saturday 2nd December 2017 – 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. Parent Council Christmas Fair.
- Tuesday 6th February 2018 at 6.30 p.m. Lagganlia Camp Meeting.
- Monday 26th February to Friday 2nd March 2018 – P.7 at Lagganlia Camp.
- Thursday 24th May 2018 – P.7 at The Risk Factory.
- Wednesday 6th June 2018 – 7.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. Portobello High School Parent Information Evening (parents only).
- Tuesday 19th, Wednesday 20th and Thursday 21st June 2018 – P.7 pupils attend their respective high schools for three-day transition programme.
- Friday 22nd June 2018 – 6.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. P.7 Leavers’ Dance.
- Friday 29th June 2018 at 9.45 a.m. P.7 Leavers’ Assembly.
Thank you for your continued help and support.
Willie French (Head Teacher)