Newsletter 23 May 2017
I write to seek your views on two key aspects of our work which are a focus in school this term with a view to planning for next session, Session 2017/18.
School Improvement Plan
I wish to ascertain what aspects of our work you think are key strengths and where you consider areas that require further development. The national and local priorities are literacy, numeracy and health and well-being.
Pupil Equity Funding
The Scottish Government has awarded all schools in Scotland £1200 for each child who is eligible and registered for free school meals. This amounts to £51 600 for The Royal High Primary School. The funding is allocated on the basis of free school meal eligibility, however, head teachers have discretion with regard to which children would benefit most from specific interventions whilst maintaining a clear focus on equity. This funding must be used by schools to support activities and interventions that support children affected by poverty in an attempt to ensure they met their full potential. The funding must be focused on activities that will lead to improvements in:
*Literacy *Numeracy *Health and Well-Being
Organisers for our work in this area covers three categories:
1) Learning and Teaching 2) Families and Communities 3) Leadership
Support may be directed to learners or through working with families inside or outside the school environment. It is important to emphasise that ALL PUPILS remain the focus of our work and I can assure you that every effort will be made to ensure all pupils benefit from this additional funding.
Please download this newsletter to find attached a form which is designed to invite you to express your views.
It is very important that we are clear about what the whole school community considers our priorities for improvement. Please take some time to complete this form and return to your child’s class teacher NO LATER THAN FRIDAY 26TH MAY 2017.
Following your feedback, I will refer to our statistical information to identify how and where we use this additional funding to ensure improvement for our learners.
In addition to the feedback form, you can call me on 0131 669 3200 or e mail email@example.com
Thank you for your continued help and support. I can assure you it is much appreciated.
Willie French (Head Teacher)
Information Newsletter 16 May 2017
You will be aware that we have two very exciting forthcoming events. These events will provide our pupils with some alternative learning opportunities. I hope you will give them your full support.
’Circus Starz’ – Tuesday 23rd May to Friday 26th May 2017
We are very fortunate to have a most motivated and supportive Parent Council. The Parent Council secured a community grant and have planned an extraordinary series of events over the course of a week. Events will be held daily in the ‘big top’ tent beside Northfield/Willowbrae Community Centre.
Please note and support the following events:
- Tuesday 23rd May – 9.10 a.m. to 9.40 a.m. – P.4 and P.5 Circus Show
- Tuesday 23rd May – 3.45 p.m. to 5.30 p.m. – screening of ‘Brave’
- Tuesday 23rd May – 6.00 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. – Family Scots’ Night
- Wednesday 24th May – 9.10 a.m. to 9.40 a.m. – P.1, P.2 and P.3 Circus Show
- Wednesday 24th May – 4.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m. – Family ‘Clubbercise’
- Thursday 25th May – 9.10 a.m. to 9.40 a.m. – P.6 and P.7 Circus Show
- Thursday 25th May – 6.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. – ‘Northfield/Willowbrae Has Talent’
- Friday 26th May – 9.15 a.m. to 10.00 a.m. – P.6 and P.7 Circus Starz Performance
- Friday 26th May – 10.15 a.m. to 11.00 a.m. – P.1 P.2 and P.3 Circus Starz Performance
- Friday 26th May – 11.15 a.m. to midday – P.4 and P.5 Circus Starz Performance
- Following the performances there will be a WHOLE SCHOOL PARADE
- Friday 26th May – 12.30 p.m. to 3.30 p.m. – Summer Fair
The Parent Council has committed a huge amount of time and effort to organise this programme. I would like to see the WHOLE SCHOOL COMMUNITY – families, relatives, friends and neighbours come together to create a real SENSE OF COMMUNITY.
I look forward to seeing many of you at the events.
Health Promotion Week – Monday 5th to Friday 9th June 2017
Mrs. Evans, our Deputy Head Teacher, has planned a very full and exciting week of activities to support health promotion.
There are many opportunities for parents and families to be involved in activities – health and well-being is one of our core areas in addition to literacy and numeracy.
It is crucially important that children are aware of making good decisions with regard to health and well-being.
Please join us for some of these activities. My sincere thanks to Mrs. Evans for her hard work.
I am delighted to share with you that eighteen children have signed up and are attending our newly formed chess club. My sincere thanks to George Callaghan from the Parent Council.
Good luck to our SCHOOL CHOIR who perform in the GLEE CHOIR FINAL tonight, Monday 15th May 2017 at The Assembly Rooms on George Street. Mrs. Belfall, our Music Specialist, has put together an outstanding choir, performing song and dance to a high standard. We have upward of fifty children who are members of the choir. The choir won their Edinburgh heat in March and now participate in the final. Thanks also to Ms. Campbell, P.3 teacher, who is assisting Mrs. Belfall.
Date Change/Reschedule – in a communication earlier this term I informed you that our next OPEN MORNING would be held on Tuesday 23rd May 2017. Owing to ‘Circus Starz’ week, our Open Morning has been postponed on this day and rescheduled for TUESDAY 6TH JUNE 2017. Please accept my apology for any inconvenience.
I remind you that school will be CLOSED on MONDAY 22nd MAY 2017 – this is the traditional VICTORIA DAY HOLIDAY.
Thank you to all in the school community for their continued help, support and enthusiasm. Please do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 0131 669 3200 in the event you want to share news or information – positive or negative.
Willie French (Head Teacher)
School Newsletter 25 April 2017
Summer Term 2017 – Key Dates
Welcome back to all members of our school community following the Easter holiday. I hope all members of our school community enjoyed a happy and healthy Easter period.
Looking ahead to the summer term, I can confirm that the forthcoming term is a busy but exciting term with many events to look forward to.
The following calendar of key dates is not exhaustive, there will be additional events as the term progresses. The calendar is accurate at the present date.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further information.
- Monday 1st May – SCHOOL CLOSED – MAY DAY HOLIDAY.
- Wednesday 3rd May – ‘Parent Pay’ implemented from today.
- Thursday 4th May – SCHOOL CLOSED FOR PUPILS – STAFF IN SERVICE DAY.
- Saturday 6th May at 9.30 a.m. – P.6 football team competing in 1st Round School Board Cup at Wardie Playing Fields.
- Thursday 11th May evening – Parent Council Spring Discos (to be confirmed).
- Friday 12th May at 9.45 a.m. – P.6B class assembly – ‘The Rainforest’.
- Friday 12th May at midday – P.7 parents invited to see Lagganlia Camp slideshow.
- Monday 15th May at 6.15 p.m. – The Choir competing in the final of The Glee Choir Competition at the Assembly Rooms, George Street.
- Week beginning Monday 22nd May is ‘CIRCUS STARZ’ Week. This is an exciting community project organised and led by our Parent Council. Children will learn and perform performance arts material to be undertaken, presented and performed in the ‘BIG TOP’ constructed beside Northfield/Willowbrae Community Centre. More exciting details to follow.
- Monday 22nd May – SCHOOL CLOSED – VICTORIA DAY HOLIDAY.
- Tuesday 23rd May – School ‘Open Morning’.
- Wednesday 24th May – P.7-year group at ‘The Risk Factory’.
- Wednesday 24th May – P.6 team competing in ‘Games at the Hub’ at Forrester High School.
- Friday 26th May 12.30 p.m. to 3.30 p.m. – Parent Council Summer Fair (replaces the annual Saturday fair) – to coincide with the end of ‘Circus Starz’ week
- Monday 29th May – Scholastic Book Fair Week.
- Monday 29th May – P.6 and P.7 Interscholastics Team competing at Meadowbank Stadium.
- Tuesday 30th May – Nursery group at East Links Country Park.
- Wednesday 31st May – P.5-year group at the Imaginate Show at Brunton Theatre.
- Week beginning Monday 5th June is HEALTH WEEK – Mrs. Evans (Deputy Head Teacher) has put together an exciting programme
- Monday 5th June at 7.30 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. Parent e-safety talk by PC Verity Ferry.
- Tuesday 6th June at 6.30 p.m. – Open evening at Portobello High School for parents and pupils.
- Thursday 8th June – GENERAL ELECTION DAY – PLEASE NOTE THE SCHOOL IS OPEN AS NORMAL ON THIS DAY.
- Thursday 8th June – Health Activity Day including parents/carers as part of ‘Health Week’.
- Friday 9th June at 9.45 a.m. – P.7-year group assembly – Lagganlia.
- Thursday 15th June at 1.00 p.m. – Infant (P.1 to P.3) Sports Day.
- Friday 16th June at 10.15 a.m. – Upper (P.4 to P.7) Sports Day.
- Monday 19th June – Pupil Progress Reports issued.
- Monday 19th June at 7.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. – P.1 Parents’ Evening for pupils starting in August 2017.
- Tuesday 20th June – P.7 pupils at their respective high schools for ‘Transition Day’.
- Tuesday 20th June at 1.15 p.m. to 2.30 p.m. – P.1 Games Afternoon (part of P.1 Transition Programme) involving present P.1 pupils and prospective P.1 pupils.
- Wednesday 21st June – P.7 pupils at their respective high schools for ‘Transition Day’.
- Thursday 22nd June – P.7 pupils at their respective high schools for ‘Transition Day’.
- Thursday 22nd June – ‘Moving On’ afternoon – pupils spend some of the afternoon with their teachers for next session.
- Friday 23rd June – P.5A and P.5B class assembly.
- Friday 23rd June at 6.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. – P.7 Leavers’ Dance.
- Thursday 29th June afternoon – Talent Show organised by the Pupil Council.
- Friday 30th June at 9.45 a.m. ‘The Leavers’ Assembly’.
- Friday 30th June at midday – SCHOOL CLOSES FOR SUMMER HOLIDAY.