School Newsletter 10th January 2018
Welcome back – Term 3
Welcome back to all members of our school community. I hope that everyone enjoyed a happy and
peaceful festive season.
Once again, the term ahead is very busy. Please consult below for a diary/calendar of events for this
term. These are only the dates already entered in the diary, these are not exhaustive are there will
be more events planned as the term progresses.
- Wednesday 17th January – 3.30 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. High School Musical rehearsals commence
– Mrs. Evans and Ms. Campbell will inform who is required to attend on a weekly basis.
- Week beginning Monday 22nd January – SCOTS’ FOCUS WEEK.
- Monday 22nd January – P.3 visit to Holyrood Palace.
- Tuesday 23rd January – P.2/3 visit to Holyrood Palace.
- Tuesday 23rd January – 6.30 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. – Parent Council Scots’ Night/Ceilidh.
- Friday 26th January – 9.30 a.m. – whole school Scots’ Assembly – all parents, families and
friends are welcome to attend.
- Monday 5th February – 11.00 a.m. – P.6 and P.7 Cross Country Festival at Wardie Playing
Fields (Teams of 5 Boys and 5 Girls).
- Tuesday 6th February – 1.45 p.m. – A team of 4 from each P.7 class competing in the
Portobello Rotary Club Quiz at Portobello High School.
- Tuesday 6th February – 6.30 p.m. – P.7 Parent/Pupil Meeting for Lagganlia Outdoor
- Wednesday 7th February – P.7 A visiting the Poppy Factory.
- Thursday 8th February – P.7B visiting the Poppy Factory.
- Friday 9th February – SCHOOL CLOSES FOR MID-TERM.
- Monday 19th February – SCHOOL RESUMES FROM MID-TERM.
- Tuesday 20th February – 7.30 p.m. – Parent Council Meeting.
- Wednesday 21st February – PDSA Workshops for P.1 to P.7.
- Monday 26th February – P.7 year group depart for Lagganlia Camp.
- Friday 2nd March – P.7 year group return from Lagganlia Camp.
- Wednesday 7th March – 4.00 p.m. to 6.30 p.m. – Parent Consultations.
- Thursday 8th March – 5.30 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. – Parent Consultations.
- Monday 12th March – 11.00 a.m. – Edinburgh Primary Schools Sports Association Cross
Country Meet at Inverleith Park – P.6 and P.7 (5 boys + 5 girls from each).
- March 2018
- Friday 16th March – Nursery, P.1 and P.7 group photographs.
- Wednesday 21st March – School Open Morning.
- Wednesday 21st March – P.1 and P.7 Dental Checks.
- Thursday 22nd March – P.5A and P.5B – Generation Science.
- Thursday 29th March – 9.30 a.m. – whole school Easter Assembly.
- Thursday 29th March – SCHOOL CLOSES FOR EASTER HOLIDAY at NORMAL SCHOOL DAY TIME.
SCHOOL RESUMES FOR SUMMER TERM ON TUESDAY 17th APRIL 2018.
There are many reasons to be very proud of what we attain and achieve at The Royal High Primary School.
Please visit our website to view evidence of recent events.
I make every effort to ensure all communication is positive. However, I appeal to many in our school community with regard to LATENESS.
I understand that organising children, family, preparing for work etc. can place demands and pressures on family life.
However, I am aware that the number of children arriving late for school is increasing and there are a significant number of children presenting to school sometime after 8.55 a.m.
- The constant late arrival of pupils presents the following:
- Children missing important learning and teaching opportunities.
- Children’s progress and attainment affected adversely.
- Teachers’ losing valuable teaching time, as they have to repeat lessons.
- Children’s self-esteem and confidence affected by feeling different and self-conscious.
- Children’s health and safety at risk as lateness creates difficulties when monitoring absence and attendance.
I thank you for your efforts to address this lateness issue.
Thank you to all in the school community for their continued help and support.
Willie French (Head Teacher)
School Newsletter 05 September 2017
Primary 7 Information
Outdoor Education Experience – Lagganlia Camp
Please note that our P.7-year group will visit Lagganlia Camp near Aviemore from Monday 26th February 2018 to Friday 2nd March 2018.
More details regarding camp will be issued at a later date.
The total cost of the trip will be approximately £320. This includes the residential cost and transport cost. This may be subject to change as we await confirmed costing for the transport. However, I can assure you that the differential will not be significant. I am aware that £320 is a large amount of money, therefore I suggest payment is made in FOUR instalments as follows:
- £80 by Friday 29th September 2017
- £80 by Tuesday 31st October 2017
- £80 by Thursday 30th November 2017
- £80 by Wednesday 31st January 2018 (this amount may be amended slightly to cover transport).
Payment can be made by any of these THREE methods:
- By ‘Parent Pay’. This would be the preference method of payment. Please contact Mrs. Chapman, our Administrator, in the event you require ‘log on’ information.
- By cheque payable to ‘The Royal High School’.
- By cash.
All non ‘Parent Pay’ payments should be passed to Mrs. Chapman.
You will be aware that we have two major events at the end of the school session, these are:
- P.7 Leavers’ Dance on Friday 22nd June 2018 – 6.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
- P.7 Leavers’ Assembly on Friday 29th June 2018 at 9.45 a.m.
I have taken the opportunity to meet with P.7 parents over the last two years. Each year we established a group of parents willing to help prepare for these events. Helping is usually in the form of decorating and preparing the hall.
I invite any P.7 parents who would like to be involved to meet with me on THURSDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER 2017 at 6.00 p.m. IN THE SCHOOL STAFF ROOM. I hope that it is possible to set up a small group of volunteers. Please e mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested and can attend the meeting. Thank you.
Some key dates for P.7
- Tuesday 6th February 2018 at 6.30 p.m. Lagganlia Camp Meeting.
- Monday 26th February to Friday 2nd March 2018 – P.7 at Lagganlia Camp.
- Thursday 24th May 2018 – P.7 at The Risk Factory.
- Wednesday 6th June 2018 – 7.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. Portobello High School Parent Information Evening (parents only).
- Tuesday 19th, Wednesday 20th and Thursday 21st June 2018 – P.7 pupils attend their respective high schools for three-day transition programme.
- Friday 22nd June 2018 – 6.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. P.7 Leavers’ Dance.
- Friday 29th June 2018 at 9.45 a.m. P.7 Leavers’ Assembly.
Thank you for your continued help and support.
Willie French (Head Teacher)