Welcome to The Royal High Primary School Website
Information – Wednesday 23 August 2017
Key Dates and Assemblies
Children have completed a full week back at school following the summer break. I am very pleased to inform you that the beginning of the new school session has been happy, calm, successful and most enjoyable. Our new P.1 group of pupils, and pupils new to other stages, have settled into school extremely quickly and I thank everyone in our school community for their help in achieving this.
Please note below some key dates that have been identified for Terms 1 and 2 (August to December). The list is not exhaustive and there will be many additional dates as we proceed through Terms 1 and 2, additional class visits/outings etc. To assist in your forward planning please note the following dates:
Term 1 (August to October 2017)
- Tuesday 29th August 2017 at 7.30 p.m. – Parent Council Meeting in the Staff Room.
- Thursday 31st August 2017 at 9.15 a.m. – Whole school to see M&M Productions performance of ‘Charlotte’s Web’.
- Friday 8th September 2017 at 9.45 a.m. – P.7 Councillor Assembly – P.7 parents welcome to attend.
- Thursday 14th September 2017 at 1.30 p.m. – P.1 Parents Literacy and Numeracy Workshops – details and information to follow.
- Friday 15th September 2017 at 9.45 a.m. – P.7 Nations’ Captains Assembly – P.7 parents welcome to attend.
- Monday 18th September 2017 – School closed for Autumn Holiday.
- Wednesday 20th September 2017 7.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. – Parent/Teacher Social/Information Evening – details and information to follow.
- Wednesday 4th October 2017 4.00 p.m. to 6.30 p.m. – Parent Consultations.
- Thursday 5th October 2017 5.30 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. – Parent Consultations.
- Thursday 12th October 2017 at 9.30 a.m. – Whole School Harvest Assembly.
- Friday 13th October 2017 – School Closes for October Mid-Term Holiday
Term 2 – October to December 2017
- Tuesday 24th October 2017 – Pupils Resume following October Mid-Term Holiday.
- Thursday 26th October 2017 – Parent Council Hallowe’en Disco.
- Wednesday 1st November 2017 – City of Edinburgh Council School Open Day.
- Friday 10th November 2017 – Parent Council ‘Band ‘n’ Buttie’ Night at Duddingston Golf Club.
- Week beginning Monday 20th November 2017 – ‘World of Work’ Focus Week – more details and information to follow.
- Thursday 14th December 2017 at 1.30 p.m. – Infant (P.1 to P.3) Nativity 1st Performance.
- Friday 15th December 2017 at 10.00 a.m. – Infant (P.1 to P.3) Nativity 2nd Performance.
- Friday 22nd December 2017 at 10.00 a.m. – Whole School Christmas Assembly – P.4 to P.7 perform.
- Friday 22nd December 2017 at midday – School Closes for Christmas Holiday.
Class Assemblies/Whole School Assemblies
Many of you will be aware that class assemblies have long been a tradition at The Royal High Primary School. The class assemblies provided children with an opportunity to perform and for this performance to be viewed by parents and families. A very positive and valuable experience. Since I joined the school almost three years ago, I have organised whole school assemblies with an expectation that classes or stages prepare and perform a piece. These whole school assemblies included Harvest Assembly, Christmas/Nativity Assembly, Scots’ Assembly and Easter Assembly. We reviewed our approach to assemblies at the end of last session and it was recognised that a significant amount of class time was committed to preparing the assemblies. A decision has been made to drop class assemblies, however this results in children participating and performing in four assemblies, much more than the one assembly previously.
Thank you for your continued help and support.
Willie French (Head Teacher)
About The Royal High Primary
The Royal High Primary School buildings were completed during 1931. We are all extremely proud of our listed building set within its beautiful grounds. The grounds and buildings, enjoyed by pupils, parents and staff, help to convey our heritage and enthusiasm for learning.
As an ECO school we are delighted to have gained five Green Flags and you can see one flying proudly in front of the school. We have a strong commitment to our environment and are currently working on achieving our sixth Green Flag.